Pages

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Veggie Pizza (for you and your dog!)

I love pizza. Charlie loves pizza. A recipe for BOTH of us to love? You bet!

So last weekend I ran across this pizza recipe on Facebook that uses cauliflower for the "crust" instead of regular pizza dough. I've heard other people talk about this before and since I was in a "baking mood," I figured this was a good time to give it a try.

First, you must know that I've NEVER eaten cauliflower. Or at least not knowingly. So I was a bit skeptical about how this would taste.

And while the recipe had some unusual steps (squeezing the cooked cauliflower in a towel to remove moisture), it was actually quite easy... and surprisingly fun! I made a couple of substitutions - feta cheese instead of goat cheese and spinach instead of basil. The recipe was very friendly for substitutions so I highly recommend experimenting with your own favorite toppings.

It took longer to bake than the recipe stated, so I ended up putting it on broil towards the end... I was getting hungry!


Broil + parchment paper = don't do this. 

Instead of a yummy pizza aroma filling my kitchen, I had burnt paper smell. Yeah... just be patient and let it bake.

How do you like my classy Corelle dinnerware?

My impression of the first bite:  it's definitely different than regular pizza. But by the second bite, I was addicted!

It's a much lighter meal than regular pizza and I didn't feel sluggish and "heavy" after eating it. I was also full after 3 pieces, whereas a normal pizza... well, I could probably eat the whole thing.

Even an hour after eating, I still felt comfortably full, but lighter somehow.

The other "bonus" about this pizza? I feel comfortable sharing a couple of bites with Charlie as a special treat. I gave her pieces with the least amount of cheese and she was more than happy to sample this recipe!

In fact, she gobbled up her portion so quickly, I couldn't even get a decent picture of her enjoying it.


Overall, this is my new favorite recipe and I plan on making it at least once a week. I heated up leftovers for lunch the next day and it was just as wonderful. I highly recommend stopping by the grocery store on your way home from work tonight and picking up a head of cauliflower.

Go on... you know you want to try it!


No comments:

Post a Comment